Red Cross Lifeguarding Course 6.3-6.5 for Friday, June 3, 2022
American Red Cross Lifeguarding Course
Looking for a summer job? Come work with us at the pool!
Now offering Lifeguard Training (ages 15+). Earn your American Red Cross Lifeguarding CPR and First Aid Certification.
June 3rd 3:00pm-4:45pm
June 4th 12:00pm-7:00pm
June 5th 9:00am-7:00pm
The primary purpose of the American Red Cross Lifeguarding course is to provide entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide professional-level care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over. This course is blended learning course. At the time of registration, you will receive online material to complete prior to the start of the course. Once you arrive to the course, you will present your completion report to your instructors and complete the in-water pre-requisites to proceed with the course.
Prerequisites will be tested on day one:
- Be at least 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of the course.
- Swim 300 yards, continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing.
- Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes, using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
▪ Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Swim goggles are not allowed.
▪ Surface dive, feet-first or headfirst, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
▪ Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath.
▪ Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
▪ Attend the entire course and participate in all class sessions.
▪ Actively participate in all course activities, including assuming various roles during scenarios.
▪ Demonstrate competency in all required skills.
▪ Pass the final skills scenarios.
▪ Successfully pass final written exams with a minimum grade of 80%. If a participant fails to
reach the minimum 80% on the final written exam, a retest is allowed using the other
version of the exam, provided that the participant has passed the practical assessment.
▪ Blended Learning only: complete all eLearning modules.